Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Svelte Quest 2012

It's that time.  Time to drop the fork filled with pasta and become a lean, mean, exercise machine.  I dreaded this about two weeks ago when I attempted to put on my "skinny jeans" and realized...hmmm...it's actually time to do some work!  They didn't button quite as easy as they did before the wedding.  Not gonna lie though, it's been fun eating decadent, hearty, winter meals and cuddling by the fire!  Now, we'll just have to find a way to make healthy foods just as enjoyable.  If there is a will, there is a way, and I'm willing and up for the challenge! Hubby's on board too which is HUGE!  It always helps when you have a diet and exercise partner. Someone to hold you accountable when you are salivating over the snickers bar. Not that he needs to lose weight AT ALL...just wants to tone up and be healthy.

The cold weather is still lingering a bit, so I allowed myself to have two chocolate chip cookies last night as a way of saying fairwell to the fat.  Gotta go out in style, right?  So thank you chocolate chip cookies for your company but now you're no longer invited to the party.

To jump start my "Svelte Quest 2012," I'm catching a ride on the fad diet bandwagon.  Now, I know this isn't the best way to do it but I do believe in detox style diets so long as you don't eat like a piggie after you're done and gain all the weight back.  That's not healthy.  So this little Chemical Breakdown Diet {also known as the Three Day Diet} has worked for me in the past and it's been quite a while since I've done it.  Why not give it a shot! I usually lose 5-7 pounds on it. 

I was inches away from going full speed ahead with Gwynie's {Gwyneth Paltrow's} detox diet {see her detox here} but seven days of it would be very difficult and too extreme for me at this juncture.  Plus, I've never tried coconut water, believe it or not, and the thought of it makes me a bit queezy.

Later, I will try out some of the items on her detox, just not in the seven day span.  Her Beet, Carrot, Apple and Ginger juice smoothie looks good to me {below}.  I also plan to try the Teriyaki Chicken {also shown below}.  

Picture via Goop

Picture via Goop

So tomorrow is day 1 of the Chemical Breakdown Diet for me so I'll be pretty ill for the first day of it.  I've already warned hubby!  : )  After the first day and the first night of sleep, your body feels better and better.  By the third day, you feel so much lighter and fresh!  It's amazing what removing the  junk from your diet can do for brain function, stimulating your digestive system, and improving your overall health.  Disclaimer: DRINK TONS OF WATER!!!  You're body needs lots of water when you aren't on any type of diet so when you are, especially a detox type, you need to replentish and rejuvenate your body and water is necessary to accomplish this.

Whenever you diet/detox, always consult your doctor and make sure you are taking care of yourself during the process.  Plenty of sleep as well.  I, personally, cannot participate in heavy exercise on this particular diet.  Your doctor and your body will tell you if you can on whatever diet/detox you might choose. 

After the three days, I will be focusing on healthy menu's for Dylan and I.  By healthy, I mean 4-6 ounces of chicken, fish, other lean meat and veggies.  Hubs needs more carbs than I do so when I prepare, say, steamed brocolli or asparagus for me, I can make boiled red potatoes with fat free gravy or brown rice for him.  He can get away with a sub sandwich with a few veggies thrown in for his lunch, while I need more salads, protein, fruits, almonds, granola, etc. I love all those during warm weather so it shouldn't be too hard. 

Another key is portion control and moderation.  If we want a steak and baked potato in two weeks, we'll have it.  The next day, however, will be much lighter fare.  I'll always be somewhat of a "foodie" at heart and don't intend to give up on flavor, just to make some of the favorites lighter and adapt new recipes as well.  Our outdoor garden is another huge motivator in this quest for eating healthy.  All those veggies, herbs, and even rasberries and strawberries will come in handy when preparing healthy spring and summer meals. 

We'll up our exercise intake after my three day diet is over which always works wonders for your body and for your energy level.  My treadmill and yoga days are coming back into my life! We'll be pepping up our step on Abbey's walks as well as continuing to work in the yard and garden. GREAT exercise!  Tennis and hiking, here we come too!

I'll leave you with some of my "Svelte Quest 2012" motivation and resource sites...just in case you need a little nudge inspiration too. : )

Shape

Eating Well

Self


No comments:

Post a Comment