Thursday, March 1, 2012

Super Simple Supper for Two

If you have busy weekdays like hubby and I, then sometimes supper needs to be fast but still healthy.  Processed food really tends to gross me out as of late and I want Dylan and I to be getting fresh, nutritious foods without spending a fortune and without it being too time consuming.

Enter: A quick little idea for you and yours if anyone in your household finds themselves in a "short on time" predicament. Since we are transitioning into Spring {slowly but surely!} I kept one slightly heavier side dish but the majority of this particular dinner is fairly light.  Remember portion control!  Dylan and I split this meal in its entirety and it worked out quite lovely and we even had leftovers.

Simple Salad.

Wash romaine hearts and regular iceberg lettuce {hubs isn't too fond of the leafier types of lettuce so we went with these}.  Then, add your favorite veggies and toppings.  We did a version of a Chef Salad which is Dylan's fave.  My only epic failure was the calorie-laden Ranch dressing but, hey, you gotta live sometimes right?  Right. : )  We added diced boiled egg, slices of turkey and turkey bacon, and cucumber.  You'll notice the cheese as well.  You can't technically have chef salad without a little cheese! {wink}


Meatballs.

Before assembling the salad, I made the easiest meatballs evah!  I got frozen Italian meatballs and cooked as directed on the package, then I used my small size Dutch Oven and added the meatballs, 1 jar of grape jelly and 1 jar of chili sauce.  You can do many many versions of this.  Depends on the sweet to sour to spicy ratio you prefer.  I've added jalapeno jelly before, apple jelly instead of grape, chili powder and ketchup instead of chili sauce.  There are many different ways but this time we went with the grape jelly and chili sauce.  Simmer the meatballs in this mixture for about 15-20 mins and you're good to go!



Bread with Dipping Sauce.

While my meatballs simmered and after assembling the salad, I just diced up some pieces from a french baguette and used our favorite Herbs de Provence olive oil as a dipping sauce as well as some regular olive oil with balsamic vinegar whisked in.  Simple {and quick!} yet elegant for a week night meal.  Next, I set it all on a tray and headed into the den with my man {and an old Friends episode} for dinner!  Simple. Easy. Delish. Sorta healthy.

Still learning the camera!  This one is yellow! You get the idea though.




One salad bowl, one meatball bowl,
bread and dipping sauces, two forks!


No comments:

Post a Comment