Thursday, February 23, 2012

Southwestern Pulled Brisket

As promised, here is the recipe for Southwestern Pulled Brisket courtesy of Smitten Kitchen.  Let me just say that this site rocks.  I love the pictures {the camera used is clearly quite pricey}.  The recipes are delectable, some being easy to prepare and others that take a bit of time and effort.  Deb, the writer, always keeps me entertained and connected.  She's honest. She's funny. Yet informative.  This site will be a Friday Favorite for sure! : ) Check it out at http://smittenkitchen.com/ if you haven't come across it already.

Let's begin...

First, you know me, always the stickler to have everything out on the counter ready for prep work.  This is an absolute must for me as I never know what critter pup or kitten I might step on {who are both constantly underneath me while I'm in the kitchen} so moving around needs to be kept to a minimum.  Sneaky little beggars just waiting for me to drop a morsel of food for them to devour.  I totally get it though.  I'd be doing the same thing if I were them, especially in the harsh reality that they do not get people food!  At least not yet, I'm sure we'll cave eventually.

As I mentioned yesterday, the molasses is the star of this show to me.  The chipotle peppers have become a fave of mine also and I like to dice them and put in chicken and veggie fajitas.  Husband and I LOVE the spice!  Nearly every ingredient here can be used in many other dishes. 


Look at our little salt and pepper shakers!  I've had these for a long time but
they still make me giggle.  Esp Mr. Salt cause he's all chubby.


Next, salt and pepper your brisket.  I washed it and patted it to dry it as much as possible.  I'm weird I suppose, but those yucky juices that come running out of the brisket packaging gross me out.
Up to you to wash or not to wash.


 
Into skillet and brown on both sides. Then, transfer into your slow cooker.


Slice up onion and chop garlic.  Saute in the same skillet that the brisket was in and add the coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Stir to scrape up those yummy bits in the bottom of the pan from the brisket.




Add vinegar and stir then let bubble away.  Then, add the water.  This part smells kinda stank to me {as I imagine it will to you unless you just adore the smell of vinegar}.  After it bubbles down, your kitchen smells good again.  Just give it a minute.  I promise.



Pour this entire mixture over the brisket in your slow cooker


Next up, add the tomatoes and chipotles as well as the bay leaves and molasses.


Yummy, Ewwwy-gewwy molasses!

Lid on and cook for 8-10 hours on low.  The brisket will be super tender and easy to "pull."  Simply take two forks and pull apart the brisket and by the time you're done, it's all shredded and deee-lish! 


And voila!  Dinner is served.  This brisket is also good tucked in between sandwich buns and next time, I'll be taking a stab at the Green Onion Slaw and Pickled Red Onions to accompany the brisket in sandwich form.  I'll report back on those.


Full Recipe from Smitten Kitchen found here: Brisket Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment