Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dover Sole with Spicy Mayo and Pickles

As promised to my dear friend, Whitney, here's my experience with a recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow's book My Father's Daughter.  It was certainly yummy but as usual I have some slight alterations.  Gwyneth uses plain breadcrumbs {probably to save on calories} but I went all out and used seasoned bread crumbs.  Worth it! Not only because I already had those on hand, but for the flavah too! : ) Only other slight change I would make next time is to cook more of the Dover Sole or have the Fishmonger slice it a bit thicker.  Even though I'm on the portion control kick, this is very light and flakey fish so you do actually need more of it to fill the baguette.



Give it a shot!  Great recipe for a low key weeknight in.  Serve with her homemade "No-Fry Fries" {recipe found here and in her book} or a salad.  We went for the fries...ooops for the Svelte Quest 2012 last night! I'll walk/run it off with Abbey today.  No biggie since they aren't technically fried. 


I'll begin with the fries since that takes the most time. 

No-Fry Fries
*Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Peel potatoes then slice as directed and put into bowl of cold water

Take out the sliced potatoes and dry them well on a hand towel

*Place on baking dish with wire rack, drizzle fries with olive oil and sea salt and pop into oven.  Stir occasionally throught the 25 minute cook time.  Keep them on warm in the oven until fish is ready.

Dover Sole with Spicy Mayo and Pickles

Ingredients:
o 3 fillets Dover sole, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels

o 1 cup milk

o 1 cup plain bread crumbs mixed with 1 teaspoon each coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper  {I used seasoned}

o 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

o 1 lemon

o 1 baguette, cut in half lengthwise

o 1 cup loosely packed baby arugula  {I used romaine hearts}

o 1/2 cup bread-and-butter-pickle coins {on Dylan's side I used dill}
                    Spicy Mayo

o 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup

o 1 cup Vegenaise {I used regular low fat mayo}

o 1 1/2 tablespoons Lee's Homemade Sriracha {a MUST for this recipe}

Prepare Spicy Mayo first. Note: I used regular mayo instead of vegenaise.
Mix all these together and refrigerate until ready to build the sandwich.





Put pan on stove with olive oil.  Assembly line for the fish. 
Dredge Dover sole into milk then into breadcrumbs then into pan. Cook 2 mins on each side.

While the fish cooks, assemble sandwich.  Cut baguette and scoop out some of the
bread to make a little well for the fish.  Spread spicy mayo, layer romaine hearts and pickles on one side.
Spread more spicy mayo and layer the cooked fish on the other side of the sliced baguette {below}





*Serve on a white platter with half a lemon. If you're serving this dish at a dinner party, I would also sprinkle some dried herbs around the plate or a use a big sprig of fresh parsley for a colorful garnish.




Serve fries alongside and extra spicy mayo for dipping.  Flip lettuce and pickle side
of baguette onto fish side and cut baguette in half {we were too hungry so no pic of the flip!} and ENJOY!













  

No comments:

Post a Comment