Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Trader Joe's Brown Rice with Veggies

Trader Joe's Organic Brown Rice {found in the frozen section} might be the best brown rice I've ever had!  Well, except for my mama's, of course, which has that yummy southern flair with a few added ingredients ; ).  Dylan absolutely loves my mama's recipe but is not a fan of the organic Trader Joe's kind {imagine that!}.  So this is something quick I make just for myself either on nights when he has a heavier side dish and I want something lighter and full of veggies or if I simply need something to take for lunch for a few days to replace those pitiful lean cuisines.

One package makes quite a bit so you'll have lots o leftovers especially if you add veggies to it.  It's super super healthy and low calorie which is always a good thing!  I'll share my take on it below...

3 pouches come in a box so you don't even have to figure out portion control,
it's already figured out for you! And another great thing is that all you have to do is
throw the pouch into the microwave to cook the rice!  How simple!

Trader Joe's Brown Rice with Veggies {my version}

*Prep and chop veggies. For me, onion, asparagus and mushrooms.  I like the meatiness that the mushrooms brings to the dish without having to add actual meat.






*In skillet, spray no calorie Pam or any non stick cooking spray.  Add onions and asparagus and sautee.

*Add salt and pepper to taste and a few dashes of low sodium soy sauce.  I've also added worcestershire sauce before and that gives the veggies some depth for sure and a little extra salty bite.  You could even use a little of both!


*Next, add in mushrooms.  Mushrooms are literally filled with water so that's why you don't need to add any type of olive oil or additional water to the skillet.  Trust me, a lot of water from the mushroom will surface and even bubble up to a boil in the skillet but then, never fear, it will eventually cook out. 


*Cook on med heat after the water from the mushrooms cooks out and until they reach the desired consistency.  I prefer my veggies a bit crunchy so I don't cook them too long.


*Next up, microwave one pouch of rice and add to your veggies and toss in a bowl.




And finito!  Brown rice with veggies!  I store mine in two containers when I take it for lunch so I have two days worth of it in the work fridge.  It's one of those dishes that's even tastier the next day!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment